- City of Raleigh: From Founding to 1800
- Minutes of Meetings of Commissioners Who Chose J Lane’s Land for the Location of the State Capital
- Minutes of Commissioners from June, 1792
- Plan of City of Raleigh by William Christmas 1792
- Map of 1,000 Acres Sold by Joel Lane to the State of NC
Map of 1,000 Acres Sold by Joel Lane to the State of NC
Jim Jones has spent countless hours plotting the lands owned by Joel Lane and his neighbors on a modern map of Raleigh. We are very grateful to him for being willing to share his findings with us and allowing us to post it for you to see.
Raleighites will recognize the red streets running north-south as Wilmington and Salisbury Streets that cut through the center of today’s downtown Raleigh. Jim informs us that the 1,000 acres Lane sold actually plots out to about 1,100 acres, so the State received a bonus without knowing it!
Click on this link to see the map: Sale_Tract_(1792)_for_City_of_Raleigh.pdf