This page is under construction - please pardon our mess.
Joel Lane’s Siblings:
Joseph Lane & Patience McKinnie had six sons:
1. John (b. c. 1730), m. Mary. He lived in Georgia in 1755 and in 1760 was in South Carolina. Had at least 3 children, Anne, Mary, and Patience.
2. Joseph (b. 4/15/1731, d. 1798) married 1750 Sarah Bradford and died in Wake County in 1798. His house built in 1773 is still standing and is privately owned. They had at least two children: Sarah who married Matthew McCullers and Joseph who married Ferribee/Pherebe Hunter.
Joseph Lane (Jr.) & Pherebe Hunter's Children
The list of children from Joseph Lane’s Will (see image in gallery below):
Jane High (b.?-d.?) Delilah (“Delsie”?) Burt (nee Lane) (b.1785-d.? ) - Married a William Burt Isaac Lane (b.1787-d.1862) - Married a Mary (Polly) Pride (b.1788-1862). Patsy Burt (nee Lane) (b.1789-d.?) - Married a Mr. Burt (unknown relation to above William Burt who married Delilah) Joseph Lane (b.1792-d.?) Jonathan Lane (b.1794-d.?) Rebecca Davis (nee Lane) (b.1803-d.1846) - Married Jessie H. Davis Jesse A. Lane (b.1808-d.1856) - Married Sarah Fennel Phereba (sic) Lane (b.?-d.?) - Married Henry Davis
3. Jesse (b. July 3, 1733) m. 12/16/1755 Winifred Aycock (b. 4/11/1741 d. 12/16/1794). Jesse had 16 children. His grandson Joseph Lane was a hero during the Mexican War and was later appointed first territorial governor of Oregon. He was elected as Oregon’s first senator. Lane County, Oregon is named after him. David Swain, governor of NC and president of UNC during the 19th century, is also a grandson of Jesse.
4. Barnabas (b. 1735) m. Sara Martin. They had three children: Martin, Barnabas, Jr., and a daughter, Jean. Barnabas Lane of Edgecombe Co. died in 1762 and named sons Martin and Barnabas. There is some evidence that Joel Lane adopted Jean. After Joel and his wife Mary died in 1795, their son Thomas lived with his cousin Martin Lane.
5.James (b. 1737 or 39) m. Lydia Speight c.1760, d. 1805 in Wake County. Will probated in Wake County in February 1805. It mentions the following children: Edmund, Caroline, Polly, Betsy Christophers, Penny Atkins, Joel, and Nathaniel M.
6. Joel (b. 1739 d. 3/29/1795) m. Martha Hinton (1745-1771) in 1762. Together they had 3 sons. In 1772, married her sister, Mary (1755-1795). Together they had 9 children. For more information on their children, see the page on Joel Lane’s descendants.
Joseph Lane Will (1825): From the Valley Leaves Quarterly, vol 13, nr 2, Dec 1978. Last Will of Joseph Lane, Sr. of Morgan County, Ala 1825. Link here.