The Visitors Center houses the gift shop and offices. Built about 1840, it was an addition to the side of Joel Lane’s home. When his house was moved from Boylan Street to its current location on West Hargett Street in 1914, the new lot was narrower. The addition would not fit on the side of the house so it was moved to the rear.
When the Museum House was restored in the 1970s, the addition had to come off. It was moved to the north side of the site and was rented as a home for 30 years. In April 2007, it was remodeled and opened as our Visitors Center.